Thursday, November 20, 2014

5 Random Thoughts

1. THE POWER OF POWER POINT SLIDES

I have this habit of spending too many hours on my presentation slides. For example, my last seminar on 'Management of Substance-Related Psychiatric Disorders' - Amphetamines & Methamphetamines that I presented yesterday. Do you know how much time I spent on making them? THREE HOURS!! That was crazy, right?

There are soo many things I have in mind when I think about power point presentation. What theme colour do I want for my slides? The style? Pictures? Photos? Fonts? Animations? Need videos? How can I make my presentation more interesting? How can I get the message across effectively?

For me, slides are important (VERY VERY IMPORTANT!) when you want to present something. Slides are useful to help your audience understand what you want to say. Interesting slides can make up for what you lack in the way you present your topic.

The first thing I look at when someone is talking in front, is their presentation slides. You can tell a lot about the person based on how their slides look like. When I look at some of my friends' and lecturers' power point slides who have not aligned their wordings, I would imagine to click 'Ctrl A' and 'Ctrl J' just to make the words neat. I would think on how they use combination of colours in their slides, how every one of them has different style of creating the slides, are they consistent throughout the whole presentation and how can I improve the slides. That's a bad habit, I knowww. Hahhahaha.

I am far from perfect, but I try to put extra efforts on my slides. Here here, I let you see them. It's better if you view them on Slide Show though.


Footnote: STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS!!


2. THE POWER OF WRITING

“It is by sitting down to write every morning that one becomes a writer.” (Gerald Brenan)

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” (Richard Bach) 

“And what, you ask, does writing teach us? First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a privilege, not a right.” (Ray Bradbury)

“Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little.” (Holly Gerth)

“The secret of good writing is telling the truth.” (Gordon Lish)

One of my dreams is to publish a fiction novel and a childrens' book. I don't know when can I achieve those, but some day I will. (Go Go Ainn!!) I try to push myself to write every day, although most of the days I am just too preoccupied with my school work. Doing seminar slides, revising chapters in Kaplan, on-calls once every week, writing case presentations or I am just too lazy to write. Not to mention the days when I opted to go to bed early rather than being productive. Hahahaha.

I believe that it takes quite some time to develop a skill. For instance, if you want to become a writer, you must start to practice writing as early as possible. If you want to become a doctor, you must be willing to keep learning as medicine is rapidly evolving. On the other hand, if you want to become an animator, or work in multimedia industry, you have to sharpen your computer skills, art skills and do more of creative thinking. If you want to become a housewife and have cute kids, well, that's the easiest. Go find a husband. Oh wait. That's not as easy as it sounds like. LOL 


3. THE POWER OF BLUE EYES

My friends told me a story about this one Malay lecturer in our university, who is married to an American guy who has blue eyes! (I know, so cool rightt) And they have cute children! Mixed parentage, I am intrigued by that idea. 

Oh, the guy reverted to Islam before he got married to our lecturer. Another point that made my heart melt. How often do you find a guy who is willing to put his energy and precious time to learn and understand a new religion, and practise it as a way of life? I hope they will stay together and be happy for the rest of their lives.


4. THE POWER OF LOVE

Have you ever love someone so much that you feel like you wanna hug him so tight and never let go? And even start a family together and and have beautiful babies?

Hmmm wait a second. For all you know, he might not even feel the same way towards you. That would be embarassingggg. Stop thinking about the what-ifs, will you?! Just sit there quietly, and live your life. If you are not meant to be together with him, then there's nothing much you can do. Okay Nurul Ain??

Okay! Nexttt!!


5. THE POWER OF THINKING

In psychiatric clinic this morning, we met a 25-year old Malay female, divorced a year ago, who came with chief complaint of auditory hallucination and somatic delusion for one year duration. She was with her mother and younger brother in his 20s. She was brought due to her becoming unmanageable at home. She talked to herself, painted the house walls, had irritable mood and always wandered outside the house. When asked about her socio-occupational functioning, her mother said that she can help her mother doing house chores. For example, she can cook. But the family seldom eating what she cooked. Sometimes, she cooked fish without removing the internal organs (tak buang isi perut).  

Doctor then looked at us, and told us that we need to further clarify what the family told us. Like in this case, the mother told us the patient can cook. But when asked further, she was lacking in the way she prepared for the food. Family members always trying to normalise about patients' symptoms, so that they do not want to make them appear severe.

She was shy, avoiding eye contact and leaning forward on her chair with her back facing against us. She was not cooperating well, and had superficial rapport. What's interesting to note is about her delusion. She asked doctor to give her prescription on her headache, eyes, and stomach problems. When doctor asked why what's the problem with your head, she answered, 'I have headache. I feel like there's a hoe (cangkul) inside my head. I feel like someone is using that hoe to make me feel headache'. Regarding the stomach problem, she said 'I feel like my uterus (rahim) is on the outside of my body, not inside'. That is somatic delusion. When asked more about her eye problems, she refused to answer.

That was her first time coming to the clinic, and first time meeting doctor. Doctor said that she did not ask further about her symptoms, because she wanted to build rapport and to keep the patient coming for follow-ups. She has a one-year-old son. When asked about him, she got teary eyes. It's interesting to see Dr. Hanisah clerk and interact with the patient and her family members. She makes it as if it's very easy to get history in psychiatric patient. I really like her style.


Ohh it's getting late I need to go do my work noww.

Gambar sekadar hiasan

Youu...have a good dayyy!! Byebyeee :D

No comments:

Post a Comment