Friday, November 28, 2014

Of Personality Disorders


I feel like there are a lot of things that I haven't finished yet! Ahhh. For now, case write up is finished... next I can focus on my second seminar on dissociative disorder, and then 2 case presentations that I have to write properly and then the long overdue my dad's power point slides on stress anddd the design for sisters tshirt.

Serves you right. Who told you to procrastinate, huh Nurul Ainn??!

Okay relax relax. Don't stress yourself out. Stress is not good. Take a deep breath in...and out. In...and out. Feel better now?

Okay cool.

Before I get back to work, I am going to tell you about...PERSONALITY DISORDERS!

Ehem ehem. Before we go any further, do you know what is personality?

Personality means the characteristic behaviour responses of an individual, based on his internal or external experiences. It is individualistic, unique, stable, hence making it predictable.

So when a person has personality disorder, it means that the person's behaviour deviates from the normal range of variation found in majority of people, resulting in significant impairment of adaptive functioning and/or personal distress.

How many types of personality disorders do we have?

Based on DSM-IV-TR, our fellow American psychiatrists have grouped the personality disorders into three clusters : Cluster A, Cluster B, Cluster C and Others.

I have drawn some pictures so that you can imagine better.


CLUSTER A : the odd and eccentric cluster.


These disorders involve the use of fantasy and projection and are associated with a tendency toward psychotic thinking. Patients may have a biological vulnerability toward cognitive disorganisation when stressed.

Source here


CLUSTER B : the dramatic, emotional and erratic cluster.

These disorders involve the use of dissociation, denial, splitting, and acting out. Mood disorders may be common.

Source here


CLUSTER C : the anxious or fearful cluster.


These disorders involve the use of isolation, passive aggression and hypochondriasis.

Source here


OTHER PERSONALITY DISORDERS

Other personality disorders are depressive, passive-aggressive, sadomasochistic, sadistic, self-defeating, personality disorder due to general medical condition and personality disorder not otherwise specified.




You can remember about these disorders by associating each one of them with people that you know of. Some of the examples our lecturer gave:

1. Histrionic - Kim Kardashian, who is such a drama queen and likes to draw attention to herself

2. Narcissistic - Kanye West, who thinks he is better than Taylor Swift, criticising her in public

3. Sadomasochistic - Christian Grey from 50 Shades of Grey ;)

I have some friends who fit some criterias of these disorders, so I just remember them when I think about Antisocial, Avoidant and Histrionic.

My friends think that I have some traits of Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder. Hahhaa they are so funny. My best friend said that I used to be that severe. She mentioned the time when we were in foundation centre about 6 years ago. Even when I make single spelling/writing mistake on a piece of A4 paper, I would get a new paper and start writing again, from the start. I still do that even now, hahahaha shhh don't tell her. But it's only when I am doing my work alone, of course. 

Yeahh I admit, I was a bit of a perfectionist back then. But I dont fulfill those criteria for OCPD okayy. I only have some of the traits. Let's see how many do I have:

1. is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost - I only exhibit half of this criteria

2. shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (eg. is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met) - sometimes yes

3. is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity) - noo I still have time for my friends, and funn!  

4. is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification) - I dont think I am that inflexible

5. is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value - I keep stuff that I like and throw away stuff too

6. is reluctant to delegate tasks or work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things - hahahahha. okay this may be true. guilty as charged!

7. adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes - ohh I do spent a lot on shoes!

8. shows rigidity and stubbornness - a liiiitlee bit maybe

So out of 8, I only got at most three! We need 4 to diagnose OCPD, so I am not having this disorder yayy!! Hahahaha

Now you can diagnose yourself if you have any of these personality disorders!

Excuse me, I have to go take a shower and do my work work workk!!

Toodles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment